The Magical Theory Professor is officially in Beta testing! But before I continue Part II of the Gramarye series I want to tweak some of my short stories.
Currently, I’m expanding “So You’ve Been Abducted by a Dragon – Now What?” I will then take the expanded story and split it into two, to give myself more options on the market (some publications don’t take stories over 5,000 words and my short stories tend to fall somewhere in the 8,000 to 10,000 range – often too long for short story pitches but too short for novellas. Sigh.)
After that I am going to try and make my story “Coat of Many Feathers” (in the “I (Don’t) Dream of Genie” universe) into something less creepy and more palatable. Right now it’s ugh.
Still working on synchronising the Magical Theory Professor so I can get it out to my beta readers – and finding all sorts of minor tweaks in the process. Which I can’t just leave because I might forget about them in another run-through. Sigh.
Also doing interesting things to my urban fantasy short story Prosperity, which I’m working on in a sort of double-harness. I have one “short” story version (at just under 10,000 words, it’s a bit of an iffy designation) and another I am expanding into a proper novella (currently at about 13,000 words). It’s an urban fantasy featuring an Egyptian sleight-of-hand magician and her trusty Genie.
Genie doesn’t look like this and neither does Salima – I just loved this cover. By Ziff-Davis Publishing / Harold W. McCauley on Wikimedia Commons
This is also the springboard for this year’s NaNoWriMo project. For those unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, it’s a friendly competition to write 50,000 words in 30 days, making November into National Novel Writing Month. I’ll be “cheating” this year by doing a series of short stories focused on Salima instead of a novel. Don’t know if I’ll make the 50,000 words (I have less make-up time this year if I don’t meet my daily goals on my daily commute than I did in previous years), but we’ll see!
The Australian magazine Overland has published The Museum of Lost Things!
First run-through is done! I still need to synchronise the changes I made so there are no contradictions and compensate for a few things I’ve cut, then we’ll be ready for beta testing.